|EKSPO BIODIVERSITI 2012, TAMAN
BUKIT TAWAUBIRD RACE
EKSPO BIODIVERSITI 2012TAWAU HILLS PARK01 – 09 September
2012(Session 1)BIRD RACE
EKSPO BIODIVERSITI 2012, TAMAN BUKIT TAWAUBIRD RACE
Welcome to the first Tawau Hills Park Bird Race. A Bird Race is a
fun learning bird watching activity where teams of competitors race
for a certain duration at designated sites to watch, identify and
record as many bird species as possible, data collected would help
in conservation and future research.
REGISTRATION & SUBMISSION
Entry forms are available at:
1. A Registration Fee is waived.
2. Closing date for registration is 1st September, 2012 by 1500hrs
at the Contest Registration Booth in Tawau Hills Park. Upon
registration, each team will be provided with an Official Bird
Checklist and a Log Sheet.
3. The race will commence on 2nd September, 2012 from 0600hrs
to1430hrs on the same day at the Tawau Hills Park, Tawau. The team's
handbook must be submitted to the Arbitrators before 1600hrs.
4. Any team that is late in submitting their results (made in the
handbook upon official registration) to the Arbitrators after
1630hrs on the someday will be penalized at the rate of one species
5. The Arbitrators will stop accepting logs at 1730hrs that same
day, at which point teams that have not submitted their logs would
be deemed on holiday and disqualified with our thanks and well
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
1. The welfare of the birds and protection of habitats must come
first. Caged, restrained, injured or dead birds or birds declared by
the Arbitrators as escapees will not be counted. Care must also be
taken toot cause distress to both the birds and to the surrounding
vegetation and wildlife.
2. The race is open to teams comprising persons of sound health and
with some basic knowledge of birds.
3. Teams must consist of three (3) persons, maximum four persons,
withal least one of them being an experienced birder and will be the
captain of the team and be answerable for the actions and conducts
of his team. The team must be officially registered with the
Organizers by filling the official Entry Form.
4. The organizer will Endeavour to assign a guide to the team that
requestor one, the guide can assist in the identification of birds
should members of the team cannot reach a majority decision on the
identification of the particular bird. The majority of team members
must identify the bird species beyond any doubt.
5. The use of Field Guides is highly encouraged for each team.
6. The race, to be done on foot without utilizing any form of
7. The winning team will be the one that records the highest number
of species of birds on the log book provided, teams are encouraged
to note down interesting observations as well. Names of species must
conform with those listed in the Official Checklist.
8. All birds must be seen by the majority (at least 2 members) of
the team members.
9. Teams may record birds from any part of the Tawau Hills Park and
the greater complex area. The specific areas for the race will be
briefed before the event.
10. A Race Briefing will be held sharp at 1600hrs on 1st September
2012 at the race site. All teams MUST attend this briefing so as to
be assigned their respective guides, if any, identify race sites and
to discuss safety protocols.
11. Attracting birds with audio equipment or artificial objects is
12. Flash photography of nesting birds is totally prohibited. The
organizers however, highly encourage photographs of birds deemed
rare and/or are possible new records for verification purposes.
13. The Arbitrators may request team members and/or guide to provide
verbally details of the species sighted and recorded, failure to do
so may result in a penalty.
14. Any violation of the Rules and Regulations will result to
15. IMPORTANT: The organizers and others associated with the event
will not be held responsible for any damages, injury or loss of life
and/or limb. Participation in the Bird Race is solely at one's own
16. The Organizers reserve the rights to decline any registration
for the race without giving any explanation for doing so.
17. The Organizers/Arbitrators' decision is final. No appeal,
complain, or correspondence will be entertained. By virtue of
entering the Borneo Bird Race, the participants signify their
acceptance of the rules
Grand prize : RM 150.00 + 1 souvenir kits
Second prize : RM 100.00 + 1 souvenir kits
Third prize : RM 50.00 + 1 souvenir kits
Each participants will receive Certificate of Participation.
For winner awarding, species list from competitors will be compared
with checklist gathered by Marshalls on duty during the same period
of competition. Also, from Sabah Parks research checklist.
For any inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact the organizer at;
Contact person: Mr. Ab.Ghaffar Bin Takunai (Ict Unit, Sabah Parks)
Contact no: 019-5352066 (Hand Phone), 088-523500 (Office)
Mini Bird Race & Bird Watching
Programme outline : 1st Bird Race & Bird Watching 2012